Its hard to believe that its finally here: the very last week of our internship with Maitri. 3 1/2 months have gone by so fast and we have learned so much. To recap, here are a few of the fantastic experiences we have had working as interns.
- Serving the midday meal and distributing sarees to the Widows in Vrindavan
- Learning to sew with Project Maitrigram
- Health camps with the Homeless Resource Centre
- Visiting and touring Indian Parliament
- Practicing english and math with the kids in the Children’s Tutorial Centre
- Attending events such as One Billion Rising, to raise awareness about violence against women.
- Participating in Bhoomi Pooja to initiate Maitri’s new land in Vrindavan
- Helping with planning and organization of Maitri’s National Seminar entitled: A Promise is a Promise: Time for Action to End Violence Against Women
- The launch of the “Count on Me Pledge: Maitri’s campaign to end violence against women.”
- Getting our HIV test at Maitri’s Integrated Counseling and Testing Center.
We are certainly sad to be ending this chapter of our Indian experience. Working with Maitri has truly exposed us to many of the issues faced by India today. With it, we have gained, not only a better understanding of challenges, but a love for the country we have been so fortunate to get to know.